Inspired by Rebecca Katz and Eleonora Gafton
This aromatic and sweet treat is perfect added to oatmeal or gluten free pancakes on these cold fall mornings. The optional Schizandra berries add antioxidants and other health benefits including stress support, memory support and energy. They add amazing complexity to the flavor of this compote since these amazing berries have all 5 flavors ( salty, sweet, sour, bitter and spicy) in one tiny berry.
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried unsulfured apricots ,diced
- 1 cup pitted prunes, diced
- 1 cup dried raisins or cherries
- Optional: 6-10 schizandra berries for their antioxidant and adaptogenic properties
- Optional: 2 teaspoon honey to sweeten
- Add all ingredients except the lemon juice in a large saucepan with enough water to cover the fruits,
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 1 hour.
- Uncover and continue simmering slowly until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and let cool completely before serving. Serve warm ,at room temperature or chilled
- Make Ahead Tip: Store, covered, in a plastic or glass container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Per serving: Calories: 75; Total Fat: 0g (0g saturated , 0 g monounsaturated); Carbohydrates: 18g; Protein: 1g ; Fiber: 3g; Sodium : 16mg.